Electronic tuning of diesel engines has been known for almost a decade. Before that, there are limited scopes to improve performance tuning. With the introduction of electronic engine management, this has changed. It was now possible for tuners to take advantage of the excess air that the diesel ingests through the air filters to dump more fuel than is normally done. Following this in the late 1990s, computer controlled engines were made which gave tuners much greater scope to improve engine efficiency.
Why tune your car?
For enthusiastic drivers, it is quite attractive to extract additional performance from their vehicles. Diesel tuning aims to improve engine efficiency and improve normal driving conditions by ten to fifteen percent. With the cost of fuel rising with each passing day, there is a greater need to make your car more economical by increasing its performance and improving torque.
Things to remember before tuning in
There are several cheap tuning programs available online. But not all of them are good, and your car may not be ready for a remap. Here are some of the important points to consider before tuning your diesel:
- Before thinking about tuning, always check the health of your car. Check your engine, tires, suspension and more. In case you have any problems with the engine, make sure you get it fixed before you even think about tuning.
- Always do your research on tuning so you know exactly what you will get, as many of these processes are irreversible.
- It’s best to talk to tuning companies and judge them based on their responses. Compare their offerings and then check their websites for customer feedback so you can be sure you’re choosing the right one.
- You should remove any service providers that make questionable claims and also those that appear unreliable.
- It is best to look for service providers that provide excellent after-sales service.
- Also, look for providers that offer insurance, as they will help you in case something goes wrong during the adjustment process.
- It is important to see your tuner face to face taking your car to you and can ask you the appropriate questions about the performance of your car.
What type of tuning is the best?
Diesel electronic tuning involves modifying the electronic instructions that are sent to the different components of the engine. Chipping and tuning software rewrites the software changes written to the ECU using carefully developed modified programs that change the engine management instructions. You can also opt for plug and play packages that intercept standard ECU signals by placing a small box of electronics between the ECU and key engine components. The effectiveness of these will vary depending on the cost and type of software used.